Hillary Samples works with large health care databases and national data for studies examining patterns of drug use and behavioral health treatment, the association with health outcomes, and the role of policy in improving access to evidence-based care and reducing the burden of mental health and substance use problems in the U.S. Her research broadly aims to advance knowledge of effective practices and policies to improve behavioral health and well-being at a population level and increase equity for disadvantaged groups. Her work has been supported by the National Institute on Drug Abuse and published in high-impact journals, such as JAMA Open, Journal of General Internal Medicine, Epidemiology, and Health Affairs.
Dr. Samples joined Rutgers in 2020 as Assistant Professor of Health Systems and Policy at the School of Public Health and is a core member of PETS. She completed a post-doctoral fellowship in Substance Abuse Epidemiology at the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health after earning her PhD in Health Services Research and Policy, her MHS in Population Mental Health, and a Certificate of Bioethics and Public Health Policy from the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health.
Pharmacoepidemiology, Health Services Research, Mental Health, Substance Use Disorders,
- Samples H, Williams AR, Crystal S, Olfson M. Psychosocial and Behavioral Therapy in Conjunction with Medication for Opioid Use Disorder: Patterns, Predictors, and Association with Buprenorphine Treatment Outcomes. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2022;108774.
- Mauro PM, Gutkind S, Annunziato EM, Samples H. Use of Medication for Opioid Use Disorder Among US Adolescents and Adults With Need for Opioid Treatment, 2019. JAMA Netw Open. 2022;5(3):e223821.
- Bushnell G, Samples H, Gerhard T, Calello DP, Olfson M. Benzodiazepine and Stimulant
Prescriptions Before Overdose in Youth. Pediatrics. 2022;149(4):e2021055226.
- Samples H, Williams AR, Crystal S, Olfson M. Impact Of Long-Term Buprenorphine
Treatment On Adverse Health Care Outcomes in Medicaid. Health Aff. 2020;39(5):747-755.
- Samples H, Stuart EA, Olfson M. Opioid Use and Misuse and Suicidal Behaviors in a
Nationally Representative Sample of US Adults. Am J Epidemiol. 2019;188(7):1245-1253.
- Samples H, Williams AR, Olfson M, Crystal S. Risk factors for discontinuation of
buprenorphine treatment for opioid use disorders in a multi-state sample of Medicaid
enrollees. J Subst Abuse Treat. 2018;95:9-17.
July 2020 – June 2025
Multi-level associations between opioid use and overdose: Individual, clinical, and population-based risk factors for fatality
July 2018 – June 2023
The clinical epidemiology of opioid use disorder, overdose, and medication treatment